A Wolfsburg midfielder says he is ‘happy’ in Germany following his decision to reject Watford this summer.
The Hornets have had a decent start to the campaign, picking up seven points from as many games. Their most impressive result to date was a 3-2 victory over Aston Villa on the opening day.
A win against Norwich has followed, in addition to a 1-1 draw with Steve Bruce’s Newcastle.
However, the recent defeat to Leeds United proved to be Xisco Munoz’s last game as he was sacked the following day.
Watford acted quickly to find his replacement. They brought in Premier League-winning manager Claudio Ranieri on Monday.
The 69-year-old was a free agent after opting to leave Sampdoria at the end of last season.
Watford fans will be watching intently to see what the former Chelsea and Leicester boss brings to Vicarage Road.
One player the club have been closely linked with in recent months is Wolfsburg’s Joshua Guilavogui.
The 31-year-old is a defensive midfielder who made 20 Bundesliga appearances last term, helping Wolfsburg to finish fourth.
Guilavogui was pursued by Watford in the summer window but he rejected their advance to remain in Germany.
The player was asked about the transfer links during an interview with German outlet Sport Buzzer.
He said: “There were no concrete offers, but there were a few clubs that were interested.
“I stayed and I’m happy about it because I’m playing more than last year. I’ll still improve.
“I am not yet at 100 per cent, but I’ll be back soon. It’s not easy when you’ve almost never played for eight months and now you play every three days.”
The midfielder missed several games in 2020-21 due to a hip injury. He is now back to full fitness and looks set to play a vital role as Wolfsburg aim for Champions League qualification.
Good form could see him targeted by Ranieri at Watford in 2022.
Controversy ahead of Watford vs Liverpool
Watford’s home game against Liverpool after the international break is causing all sorts of problems.
Brazil have called up Liverpool stars Alisson, Fabinho and Roberto Firmino for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
However, there are doubts over whether the trio will be exempt from quarantine rules on their return to the UK. Even if they are given special treatment, there are concerns over whether they would make it back in time.
Liverpool requested that the game be changed from 12:30 to 19:45 to give their players a chance of featuring. The Telegraph write that Watford have opposed the move as it would be detrimental to fans.