January 9, 2023 (KHARTOUM) – A Sovereign Council member called to investigate the financing of armed tribal groups that launch successive attacks on Darfur villages, stressing that the situation in Darfur is “extremely dangerous.”
Recently, armed tribal gangs launched revenge attacks in South Darfur that included isolated villages in several localities about ten people were killed and 16, 200 were displaced.
Deputy head of the Sovereign Council and Hadi Idris a member of the military-led collegial presidency were in the area to inspect the situation. Also, the government deployed troops to protect the affected civilians after encouraging them to return to their burnt villages.
In an interview with Sudan Tribune on Monday, Idris who is also the chairman of the Sudan Liberation Movement Transitional Council said they were surprised by the destructive capacity of the outlaws.
“The situation in Darfur is very dangerous, and the number of unruly people has increased significantly, which raises questions about who is behind their organization, support and armament,” he said
“The movements of these groups and the way they carry out the attacks indicate that it is not a coincidence, and it seems that there is someone behind them,” he further added.
However, he refrained from accusing a specific party, stressing that it is up to the investigation committees to uncover the identity of those outlaws and their motives behind the attacks on innocent people.”
After his return from Darfur on January 4, Idris stated they had been told by the Central Darfur state security committee that the assailants rode over 2000 motorcycles in another tribal attack that took place in the state in conjunction with the South Darfur attacks.
Following the statements of the SLM-TC leader, activists circulated a video where an RSF general said that the insecurity in the region was caused by former RSF soldiers who participated in the Yemen war.
The general said once they end their mission in Yemen, they resign, buy a motorcycle and a weapon with their money and take part in criminal attacks in the western Sudan region.
Idris further said they learnt that the assailants coordinate very well their attacks and use special communication devices pointing out that they operate in areas where there are no networks for mobile telephones.
He said these groups now have the capacity to coordinate simultaneous attacks on long-distance separated villages.
The leader of the Sudanese Revolutionary Front stressed that the ultimate goal of the attackers is to displace the residents of these villages.
He pointed out that the Sovereign Council delegation encouraged the displaced to return to their areas immediately after pledges to increase the number of joint forces deployed in the area and open police stations to protect civilians.
At the time, Hemetti stated from Nyala that he had dispatched a force to bring back the displaced who take refuge in the neighbouring area.
Idris denied what was reported about the participation of the RSF soldiers or any other regular force in the tribal attack.
But it is true that “Some of the attackers were wearing the uniforms of some regular forces” he said without naming them.
Regarding the video showing RSF elements filming the burning villages, he said the force soldiers were escorting Hemetti and sent to the affected area after the attacks but did not take part in the violence.
The RSF general commander after the circulation of the video ordered the arrest of the force members saying they had been sent to protect the population not to take footage of the attacks.