October 5, 2022 (JUBA) – South Sudan cabinet has approved an additional $30 million to establish mechanisms needed to prevent the spread of Ebola from neighboring Uganda.
Ebola is a deadly virus with initial symptoms which can include a sudden fever, intense weakness, muscle pain and a sore throat. Subsequent stages of the viral disease can include vomiting, diarrhoea and in some cases, both internal and external bleeding.
South Sudan’s Information minister, Michael Makuei said cabinet approved the $30m in addition to the $500,000, which the country’s Council of Ministers approved last week.
“The plan was approved so that laboratories are set up along borders. Anybody who comes is subjected to testing, investigated and they are left to go. If anybody is suspected then they are subjected to the necessary attention,” he told reporters on Wednesday.
Also in plan, Makuei said, is to set up the laboratories, establish isolation centers and deploy forces at all borders to prevent the disease from getting into the country.
“It is subject to discussion and review with the ministry of finance and economic planning and it is also subject to contribution and donation of partners, the World Bank, IMF [International Monetary Fund], WHO [World Health Organisation],” he stressed.
President Salva Kiir, at Monday’s meeting with the Health minister, pledged to do all that is required to ensure people of South Sudan are safe from the deadly disease.
The Health minister, Yolanda Awel Deng also briefed the South Sudanese leader about the country’s preparedness and response plans to curb the disease from spreading
She, however, disclosed that South Sudan has not confirmed any case of Ebola virus.
“We got only one suspected case in the isolation centers at the border and most of those cases are in stable condition. We have collected their samples, and we have sent them to be analysed, and we are still waiting for the results,” said Awel.
She assured the general public that her ministry is prepared to handle Ebola cases.