The 12 months 2021 pushed us all to study new classes in surprising methods, from deciphering public well being statistics about vaccines and masks to refreshing our reminiscence for the Greek alphabet because of rising COVID-19 variants.
Unsurprisingly, the pandemic featured prominently within the larger schooling tales hottest with EdSurge readers final 12 months. However quite than play-by-play information, readers sought evaluation and commentary about how the disaster continues to vary tradition and situations at faculties throughout the nation.
Moreover, tales about corporations and nonprofits making an attempt to innovate inside larger ed attracted a number of consideration, as did a number of articles about studying science and new educating practices.
Beneath is a countdown of the highest 10 articles of 2021 as voted by reader curiosity. Thanks for studying, and glad new 12 months.
High 10 Countdown
10. Flipped Studying Can Be a Key to Remodeling Educating and Studying Publish-Pandemic. By Robert Talbert.
A math professor makes the case for utilizing class time for energetic studying.
9. Coursera Is Now a Public Firm. What Does That Imply For Greater Schooling? By Jeffrey R. Younger
The MOOC big was valued at greater than $3.6 billion.
8. How Distant Studying Subverts Energy and Privilege in Greater Schooling. By Sabyn Javeri
In a Zoom classroom, the trainer is now not the central authority, argues the writer of this essay, who explains why she thinks that’s good for schooling.
7. Extra Employers Are Awarding Credentials. Is a Parallel Greater Schooling System Rising? By Sean Gallagher and Holly Zanville
Main corporations are specializing in broadly relevant tech talent units resembling IT assist, cloud computing and digital advertising, clarify the authors of this opinion article.
6. Do Educational Movies Work Higher When the Instructor is On Display screen? It Relies upon. By Jeffrey R. Younger
Analysis into tips on how to maintain college students’ consideration in on-line programs. The story was a part of a collection on studying engineering and studying science.
5. Elite Faculties Began EdX as a Nonprofit Different to Coursera. How Is It Doing? By Jeffrey R. Younger
This evaluation of a serious MOOC supplier proved prescient; the nonprofit was bought later within the 12 months.
Studying analysis doesn’t all the time replicate in subsequent trials. That hasn’t stopped some approaches from catching on in lecture rooms.
3. U. of Florida Asks College students to Use App to Report Profs Who Don’t Train In Particular person. By Jeffrey R. Younger
When a campus security instrument turns right into a surveillance system.
2. Extra College students Are Utilizing Chegg to Cheat. Is the Firm Doing Sufficient to Cease It? By Jeffrey R. Younger
An organization that ostensibly sells tutoring assist raises questions on educational integrity.
1. Greater Ed, We’ve Bought a Morale Downside — And a Free T-Shirt Received’t Repair It. By Kevin R. McClure
Professors and workers are beginning to marvel: Can they nonetheless reside out their core values whereas working at universities?