Searching for the very best issues to do in Sonoma? This was our second go to, and we found there’s a lot extra to Sonoma than wine.
Individuals wish to consult with Sonoma because the laid-back and genuine neighbor of Napa, and our Bay Space mates love Sonoma and at all times inform us if IYKYK. It’s not solely recognized for its wine but in addition its farm-to-table delicacies, various geography, and open areas.
An enormous thanks to Go to California for sponsoring this publish and Sonoma County for internet hosting our journey. All opinions are at all times our personal. This publish could include affiliate hyperlinks, the place we obtain a small fee on gross sales of the merchandise which might be linked at no extra value to you. Learn our full disclosure for more information. Thanks for supporting the manufacturers that make Native Adventurer attainable.
Final Up to date: November 19, 2021
There are three distinct areas in Sonoma County: the pacific shoreline, redwood forests and rivers, and fertile valleys and vineyards. Amongst these areas, you’ll discover over 30 small cities, villages, and cities the place Life Opens Up.
Is your go to to Sonoma is an element of a bigger journey? You’ll wish to try these articles.
Finest Issues to Do in Sonoma County CA
Let’s begin with the apparent. Jacob is allergic to wine, so it’s good to have choices that don’t contain wine. However there was additionally no approach I might skip out when I’ve the right DD.
Wineries cowl lower than 6% of land in Sonoma however nonetheless quantity to over 60k acres of vineyards and 400+ wineries. Due to the various landscapes, yow will discover over 50 grape varietals. We highlighted those we visited plus different notable wineries we have to come again for.
In the event you love artwork paired along with your wine, then that you must go to Paradise Ridge Vineyard, which is barely 10 minutes away from downtown Santa Rosa. As we drove onto the property, large-scale artwork installments greeted us among the many backdrop of the attractive vineyards.
We cherished the origin story of how they began to include artwork into the winery. Rene, co-owner and one in all 5 youngsters that runs the vineyard, instructed us his dad had proposed to his mother in a sculpture backyard. A number of the items are from Burning Man, and so they actually have a portion of The Empyrean Temple, a 40-foot sculpture, which was supposed for use at Burning Man 2020.
We began our go to with a tasting on the primary constructing, then strolled by the sculpture backyard to view the artwork. I actually cherished their glowing Shiraz.
Native Tip: Each Wed from Might to Oct they host a wine and sunsets occasion with reside music. They a number of seatings at 5, 5:30, and 6.
Afterward, we headed over to Korbel Vineyard for some meals and bubbly. They’ve a delicatessen and market, which is the place we had our lunch. The sandwiches and salads have been so contemporary and yummy, and we loved our time on the outside patio.
They provide complimentary tastings for as much as 3 champagnes, however that you must name and make a reservation forward of time.
Buena Vista was based in 1857 and is the oldest business vineyard and California’s first premium vineyard.
In the event you’re in search of greater than wine, try Francis Ford Coppola Vineyard. They not solely produce over forty wines, however in addition they serve meals at their restaurant to pair along with your wine. You possibly can take a dip in both of their two swimming swimming pools and take a look at their large assortment of film memorabilia.
Benziger Household Vineyard is without doubt one of the first wineries to combine biodynamic farming, and you’ll even take a Biodynamic Winery Tram Tour.
In the event you’re trying to spoil your self, head to Chateau St. Jean Vineyard, the place you’ll be able to faux you’re royalty for the day. The grounds are picturesque, and so they have a European chateau and gardens ambiance.
Different Wineries to Examine Out
- Bartholomew Property Vineyard
- Cline Cellars
- Ferrari-Carano Winery
- Gloria Ferrer Champagne Caves & Winery
- Gundlach Bundschu Vineyard
- Hamel Household Wines
- Jordan Winery & Vineyard
- Jacuzzi Household Vineyards
- Lake Sonoma Vineyard
- Larson Household Vineyard
- Ledson Vineyard
- Medlock Ames
- Nicholson Ranch
- Pangloss Cellars
- Ravenswood Vineyard
- Repris Wines
- Roche Vineyard
Osmosis Day Spa and Sanctuary was the spotlight of our journey. We did the Cedar Enzyme Tub, which is a observe from Japan, and Osmosis is the one place you get this remedy in North America.
After we first heard concerning the cedar bathtub, we imagined a cedar tub crammed with water, however we have been stunned to seek out ourselves buried in a mix of floor cedar and rice bran. The pure fermentation that’s occurring by the enzymes leads to a heat remedy that improves circulation, relieves joint and muscle ache, and cleanses your pores and skin.
Along with that, the remainder of the property is totally beautiful. We spoke with Michael Stusser, who based the spa. He studied as an apprentice in Japan, which helped him design the attractive Zen gardens. Enjoyable reality, the property was a junkyard and so they left one of many previous vehicles there as a tribute to the house.
Native Tip: They’ve a locker the place you’ll be able to hold your belongings while you’re within the spa. We simply introduced our telephones with us and throughout the Cedar Enzyme Tub, our therapist helped us snap a couple of photographs.
Have you ever heard of forest bathing, often known as shinrin-yoku? It was developed in Japan within the 80s and is a part of preventive well being care and therapeutic after they noticed individuals’s psychological well being deteriorating from being overworked.
The thought is that you just decelerate and mindfully stroll and meditate in a forest setting. Like meditation or yoga, if you happen to’re a newbie, it helps to have somebody information you thru it. Oftentimes in Japan, you finish having tea constituted of what was foraged throughout your forest bathtub. You’re taking all of it in by meditation after which style the land.
Jenny from Ecowisdom confirmed us the right way to forest bathe with a Sonoma twist at Zephyr Vineyards. Close to the tip of our forest bathtub, fairly than tea, we did a wine tasting, since wine is without doubt one of the few drinks the place you style the earth. In the event you strive it, tell us if you happen to can style the redwood spice.
Even once I bought house, it helped me choose up the day by day behavior of meditating once more.
Earlier than Sonoma turned grape nation, apples have been the star. It’s nonetheless one of many in style crops, and if you happen to’re visiting in late summer season to fall, you need to strive their apples. Gravensteins are the most well-liked selection, and each August they have a good time with an annual competition. Take a look at the apple path right here.
In any other case, you’ll be able to go to a U-Choose farm within the Sebastopol space, store on the farmer’s markets, discover a native cidery, or strive some apple pie.
Since voluntourism is rising in popularity for vacationers, you too can spend time apple gleaning in an orchard. Gleaning is while you volunteer to choose apples which might be distributed to individuals in want. We have been imagined to on this journey, however we stored getting rained out.
Native Tip: In addition they glean different fruit and veggies all year long.
Subsequent, we headed to the picturesque Bodega Bay. Bodega Head is a well-liked rock cliff overlooking the ocean, the place you’ll be able to stroll alongside the cliffs and typically spot migrating whales. You can even head to the seaside to take browsing classes or constitution a fishing boat.
In the event you noticed Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds (handle linked above), you too can see their filming areas right here at Potter Faculty and the Inn on the Tides. I haven’t seen it but, however I’ve been itching to since visiting and watching Schitt’s Creek make references to it.
Doran Regional Park is a superb place to go birding.
In the event you’re in search of seaside time, head to the Sonoma Coast State Park. It truly encompasses 17 miles of the coast from Bodega Head to Vista Path and has a number of seashores and rocky cliffs.
Schoolhouse Seashore, Wright’s Seashore, or Goat Rock Seashore are in style spots for sundown. We needed to spend a while on the seaside, however because it was wet your complete time, we ended up simply seeing Schoolhouse Seashore from above.
Native Tip: It’s at all times good to have money with you in case that you must pay for entry and/or parking.
The Barlow is an open-air market that covers 4 metropolis blocks the place you’ll discover eating places, outlets, breweries, cideries, galleries, and extra.
We had a scrumptious lunch at Kosho Sushi, grabbed espresso at Taylor Lane Natural Espresso. I additionally couldn’t resist stopping at California Sister Floral, an excellent cute plant store subsequent to Taylor Lane.
The realm was house to the Barlow household who constructed services to course of apples into applesauce. A number of the unique constructions are nonetheless there. In 2012, new constructions have been added and native makers got here to create a group the place individuals can store, drink, and play collectively.
Native Tip: In the event you see any fruit on the bushes within the public areas, then you definitely’re free to choose them. – Duskie, Farm to Pantry
Map of Issues to Do in Sonoma
Extra Issues to Do in Sonoma County
- Charles M Schulz Museum – Often known as Snoopy’s home to the native youngsters.
- Kids’s Museum of Sonoma County – Go “fishing” in a miniature Russian River.
- Harvest Truthful
- Luther Burbank Dwelling and Gardens
- Museum of Sonoma County
- Pacific Coast Air Museum
- Trione-Annadel State Park – nice for mountain climbing and biking
- California Missions Museum (temp closed)
- Cornerstone Sonoma – a market with gardens, shops, wine tasting, eateries.
- Depot Park Museum
- Farmer’s Market – Sonoma Plaza has one Tuesday 5-8 pm Might to September. See others within the space through the hyperlink.
- First Thursday Sonoma Artwork Stroll – First Thursday of the month.
- Normal Joseph Hooker Home
- Normal Vallejo’s Dwelling, Sonoma State Historic Park
- Mission San Francisco Solano
- Overlook Path – 2.5 mi spherical journey simple path that offers you views of the valley.
- SIFF – Sonoma Worldwide Movie Pageant
- Sonoma Plaza – 8-acre park with outlets, eateries, 20+ tasting rooms, and you’ll pattern cheeses on the Cheese Manufacturing unit. It’s additionally a Nationwide Historic Monument.
- Sonoma Valley Museum of Artwork
- TrainTown Railroad
- Watch a race at Sonoma Raceway
Misc Cities and Cities
- Florence Ave, Sebastopol – Showcase junk artwork of Patrick Amiot and Brigitte Laurent
- Graton On line casino & Resort, Rohnert Park
- Jack London State Historic Park, Glen Ellen
- Kruse Rhododendron State Pure Reserve, Cazadero
- Russian River – Float, Tube, Kayak, or Boat down.
- Sonoma Botanical Backyard, Glen Ellen – Initially named Quarryhill Botanical Backyard
- Salt Level State Park, Jenner
- Sandy Cove Seashore, Jenner
- Sea Ranch Chapel, Sea Ranch
Finest Locations to Eat
Numerous eating places in Sonoma County are farm-to-table and supply every little thing domestically. Which means you get seasonal dishes and the freshest meals. Though Healdsburg is thought for its world-class eating places, yow will discover nice meals in every single place. Listed below are among the eating places to take a look at within the space
- Boon Eat + Drink, Guerneville (, New American) – Farm-to-table California bistro based by Chef Crista Luedtke
- BROT, Guerneville (, German) – A contemporary German spot from Chef Crista
- Sushi Kosho, Sebastopol (, Sushi Bars) – Yummy sushi and Japanese dishes
- Taylor Lane Natural Espresso, Sebastopol (, Espresso)
- The Pharmacy, Santa Rosa (, Espresso, Tea, Breakfast)
- Della Fattoria, Petaluma (, Bakeries)
- Divine Mom Tea n Espresso, Petaluma (, Espresso & Tea)
- Basque Boulangerie Cafe (, Bakeries)
- Bravas, Healdsburg (, Tapas)
- The Chocolate Cow, Sonoma (, Ice Cream)
- El Molino Centrale, Sonoma (, Mexican) – greatest taco ever in keeping with native Chef Duskie
- The Woman & The Fig, Sonoma (, French)
- Hog Island Oysters Co (, Seafood) – self shuck oyster offers
- J Vineyards, Healdsburg (, Wineries) – tasting menu
- The Kefiry, Sebastopol (, Beverage Retailer) – do a complimentary kefir tasting
- Candy Scoops, Sonoma (, Ice Cream)
- Valette, Healdsburg (, New American)
- Wild Flower Bread, Freestone (, Bakeries)- well-known whipping cream scones
- Wine Nation Sweets, Sonoma (, Desserts)
Excursions in Sonoma
In the event you want to go on a tour and have all the small print taken care of for you. Examine these out:
Finest Locations to Keep in Sonoma
Throughout our go to, we stayed on the Highlands Resort in Guerneville. We stayed in a cute cabin with a hearth and jacuzzi. Plus, it was a couple of minutes strolling distance from nice meals and outlets. For different choices, verify the map under.
- Don’t simply go for the wine. Everyone knows Sonoma is thought for its vineyards, however they’re additionally well-known for loads of different issues like their apples and farm-to-table eating.
- There are lots of smaller communities. Do some little bit of planning to benefit from your time in every city.
- Sonoma has a Mediterranean local weather and has delicate winters.
- Attempt to discover all three areas to see the range of the county.
- Having a rain jacket and waterproof sneakers is vital exterior of Summer season when it could be wet.
- In the event you plan on doing lots of wine tastings, try the Sonoma County Tasting Move.
- For extra guides and assets, try SonomaCounty.com.
Tips on how to Get to Sonoma
The Charles M. Schulz Sonoma County Airport (STS) is in Santa Rosa and is handy for flying out and in of the county. Because it’s a smaller airport, solely a handful of airways fly right here, together with:
- Alaska Airways: Burbank, Los Angeles, Orange County, Portland, San Diego, and Seattle
- Avelo Airways: Burbank and Las Vegas
- American Airways: Dallas Fort Value, Los Angeles, Phoenix Sky Harbor
- United Airways: Denver and San Francisco
Different close by airports
- San Francisco Worldwide (SFO) 1.5 hrs and 75 miles away
- Oakland Worldwide (OAK) 1.5 hrs and 76 miles away
- Sacramento Worldwide (SMF) 2 hrs and 119 miles away
- Discover rental vehicles right here.
- From SF – Sonoma is barely an hour away from San Francisco making it a straightforward drive from town. It’s important to pay a toll on the Golden Gate Bridge while you enter SF however not while you depart.
- From Sacramento – Take US-80 West to Ca-12/121 West. The drive takes roughly 1.5 hours.
- From Seattle/Portland – Take US-5 or US-101 South. The drive from Portland takes practically 10.5 hours.
- Sonoma County Airport Specific – from SF or Oakland airports with 4 stops in Sonoma County
- Golden Gate Transit – buses from San Francisco to Petaluma and Santa Rosa
- Ferry – from the San Francisco Ferry Constructing to Larkspur Ferry (then take the Golden Gate Transit or trip a SMART prepare to Sonoma County)
- Greyhound – from San Francisco to Santa ROsa
- Sonoma County Transit – buses that run all through Sonoma County
- Sonoma-Marin Space Regional Transit (SMART) – clear diesel trains from San Rafael in Marin County to Charles M. Schulz Sonoma County Airport
- Amtrak – trains run to Martinez and you’ll join with buses to Santa Rosa or Healdsburg
Continuously Requested Questions
What’s the greatest time of 12 months to go to Sonoma?
The height season is June by October. It’s the very best climate and also you get to be there throughout apple season too. Sadly, it’s the busiest time to go to. We want shoulder months like November and Might for fewer crowds. In the course of the winter, it’s after harvest season, so you could have all of the locals’ consideration. You get to satisfy the proprietor and maker since issues are nonetheless small and family-owned vs companies in Napa.
What’s there to do in Sonoma moreover wine tasting? What’s there to do in Sonoma underneath 21?
As we’ve reviewed on this publish, Sonoma is a lot extra than simply wine. There are many outside locations to discover, scrumptious eating places, and quaint cities. In the event you’re visiting with your loved ones, fly a white on the coast, go on a safari at a wildlife protect, or try the native museums.
Is Sonoma cheaper than Napa?
Total, Napa is usually dearer than Sonoma. With that mentioned, you’ll be able to simply spoil your self and make a dent in your pockets in Sonoma by staying in a 5-star resort, consuming pre-fixe meals, and happening wine tasting excursions in non-public cellars.
How far aside are Napa and Sonoma?
The town of Sonoma and town of Napa are solely 14 miles aside, however every county has distinct climates, landscapes, and situations.
Do you want a automotive in Sonoma?
Usually having a automotive is useful if you wish to discover a number of cities in Sonoma. They’re fairly unfold out, and we at all times like having the liberty and adaptability. In the event you select to go to with out a automotive, you are able to do guided wine excursions, so that you don’t have to fret about having a DD or use buses to journey between cities.
What’s Sonoma recognized for?
Sonoma is thought for wine, apples, farm-to-table eating places, and exquisite landscapes that span forests, rivers, valleys, hills, seashores, and rocky cliffs.
What ought to I put on to Sonoma? Are you able to put on denims to a vineyard? What’s wine nation informal?
A basic rule of thumb is when unsure, go dressier over informal. You wish to be comfy, although, because you’ll more than likely be visiting a number of spots. It additionally helps to have layers for when it will get cooler.
Wine nation informal consists of sundresses, informal skirts, and slacks or denims with a dressier prime. I like to recommend comfy sneakers, whether or not that’s wedges, flats, or boots. Keep away from gymnasium shorts, cut-off denims, shorts, sports activities tees, and flip flops.
In the event you plan on going to a pleasant restaurant, you’ll have to costume up extra (typically jacket required for males).
What wine is Sonoma recognized for?
Sonoma is greatest recognized for pinot noir from the Russian River Valley and Sonoma Coast.
How a lot does wine tasting value in Sonoma?
Between $20-30 is customary for many tastings, however yow will discover methods to do it on a price range or splurge on unique experiences.
What number of wineries are there in Sonoma?
Greater than 425!
Does Sonoma have a downtown?
Sure, downtown Sonoma is a superb spot to discover and the encircling cities and communities even have their very own distinct downtown experiences.
Is Napa or Sonoma nearer to San Francisco?
Each town of Sonoma and town of Napa are about an hour away from San Francisco.
What’s there to do between Sonoma and San Francisco?
There are a couple of spots you’ll be able to discover between San Francisco and Sonoma, together with Sausalito, Berkeley, Mill Valley, and Napa. You can even try J V Fitzgerald Marine Reserve, Reinhardt Redwood Regional Park, Alcatraz, the San Rafael Farmers Market, or Level Reyes Lighthouse.
Are you able to consider some other issues to do in Sonoma that may’t be missed?
Did you take pleasure in this publish? Pin it for later
See Extra FIrst-Timer Metropolis Guides
“Discovery consists not of looking for new lands however in seeing with new eyes” – M. Proust
Esther + Jacob
Esther and Jacob are the founders of Native Adventurer, which is without doubt one of the prime 5 journey blogs within the US. They consider that journey will be discovered each close to and much and hope to encourage others to discover domestically. They discover a brand new metropolis in depth yearly and at present base themselves in Las Vegas.
You may additionally love
The publish 7 Finest Issues to Do in Sonoma Valley appeared first on Native Adventurer » Journey Adventures in Las Vegas + World Huge.